Save money I keep telling myself as I scroll through the internet being drawn in by sales or spontaneous buys online or in shops. It’s got out of hand to be honest. No I am not in debt thankfully (apart from my Next account but that is manageable and I’ve stopped spending in there while I pay off my debt).
However after looking at my incomings and outgoings this month I have realised I need to stop. I am in fact wasting my money.
My sister gave me a few pointers last year to keep an eye on my finances to help me budget better but I have started slipping back into old habits.
What can I change?
A lot actually!
- I am going to stop shopping online. I am going to unfollow all the clothing sites I follow on Facebook and Instagram. It is far too easy for me to click on their sale sites and spend.
- I am cancelling my gym membership for myself and my daughter. We had all intentions of going several times a week together to become fitter but in reality we rarely go. There is either things going on in the evenings or the gym is too busy for Miss C. She doesn’t do crowds or busy places. Also with my Fibromyalgia diagnosis, sometimes I am the one who can’t go as I am in too much pain, not that is bothers Miss C. We are just not benefitting from it.
- When I go to the supermarket for items, I am going to start bringing cash again. I started doing this and it was great – I only spent money on what I needed, not what I thought ‘oh that’s looks nice’! I became to complacent and started to bring my bank card and so old habits have come back.
- Lists. I am going to start doing a monthly Superdrug shop. I go in so many times for bits and again come out with bags. My plan is to write a list of what I need and on pay day, go in with my list and buy only what is on it.
- Meal planning I do already. To be honest Mr B does the shopping. I end up buying far too much while Mr B sticks to the shopping list.
- Do I really need it? Is something I am going to be more mindful of. Do I really need another crystal? No I don’t. Do I need another jacket, bag, boots? Nope. I really do need to think before I buy.
- Stop window shopping. I am awful for window shopping because I don’t just window shop. If something catches my eye then that’s it, I’m in the shop. I am only a high street shopper but even then I buy on impulse and never return anything.
- I am a sucker for subscription makeup boxes and magazines. The thing is, I don’t need them, I just love the thrill of what makeup or beauty items pop through my letterbox or what freebies are coming my way with the magazines. I am going to cancel my subscriptions on these too. Some of the beauty items I don’t use so again are they worth it? Probably not. Some of the magazines pop through the letterbox and to be honest sometimes I find these magazines not really interesting.
It will take a lot of will power to break these bad habits. I will always justify why I need something and then end up seeing my bank balance drop and then panic over funds.
It has to stop. NOW.
Have you had to curb your spending? Do you have any useful tips?